- Unit tests are highly recommended
- Documentation should be done docstr style at the start of the collector. This is how we generate the wiki
- The use of positional arguments for functions is strongly discouraged.
- Collector default configuration should be in the get_default_config method of the class
- All collectors should verify before doing. For example, if the collector requires the existence of a file, check to verify that it exists and is readable before opening.
- use small high-resolution units as default (such as bits or bytes). this gives you most options afterwards. note that graphite will show k/M/G etc prefixes by default if needed.